Volleyball officials

Become a High School Volleyball Official

Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) Logo

To become a high school volleyball official and a member of the Classic Volleyball Officials Association, you must:

  • Register with the Minnesota State High School League (registration fee applies). Fee includes rule and case books, insurance, and other publications. Registration for returning officials must be done by July 1, otherwise a $20 late fee is charged. The registration deadline does not apply for new officials. Make sure you do your background check and concussion training.
  • Annually attend one of the MSHSL-sponsored rule interpretation meetings or the online meeting, which are held prior to each sports season. More information can be found on your Arbiter account under MSHSL Central Hub after July 1st.
  • Score 80% or better on an open-book test in Volleyball.
  • Apply for a membership to Classic Volleyball Officials Association (registration fee of $125/apply). If you are new to the association, the fee is $25 for your first year. If you are a student in college, that fee is waived for the first year. Mail your checks to Sandy Doherty, 1053 Dakota St. S, Shakopee, MN 55379. If you are new, contact Sandy at to start your Arbiter application.
  • 1st through 3rd year officials MUST attend a rating tournament. Any official 4+ years must be rated at least every 2 years or at the discretion of the assigner. This training tournament is also open to any officials who want to get rated. You will be reviewed by an observer both as a Referee and an Umpire. Please wear your uniform to the tournament. Information can be found on your Arbiter account under MSHSL Central Hub after July 1st.
  • Attend an Association meeting which will be held in August, 1:00 p.m. at the VFW (100 Shady Oak Road) in Hopkins.